Sunday 11 October 2009

David Haye's T-shirt stunt puts him on Nikolai Valuev's radar


Haye, who challenges Valuev, at 7ft and 23 stone the tallest, heaviest heavyweight champion in history, for the World Boxing Association crown on Nov 7 in Nuremberg, had been due to face firstly Wladimir, and then Vitali Klitschko, both holders of world titles with other sanctioning bodies. Haye came to Valuev's attention when he came to a press conference with Wladimir wearing the T-shirt.
"I remember it, and I thought here we go, another idiot in boxing," said Valuev yesterday. "I don't care what he says about me. Mind games don't interest me. I want David Haye to do his talking in the ring. I am expecting a tough fight."

Valuev, who also fought in London several times, under management of British promoter Frank Maloney, said he had "fallen in love with the beauty of London, its old, historical buildings".
He added: "I could lose myself in London. In fact, when I was fighting in Battersea one night, I was so busy taking in the sights, I nearly missed my fight. I had a phone call saying 'Where are you? You are due to fight in a couple of hours ' I was sightseeing. But I nearly missed my fight."

No comments:

Post a Comment